Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolution

This year one of my resolutions is to grow 75% of the vegetables that we eat.

I started this blog with the goal of using it to keep track of the amount of food we produced as well as other garden information that I would need later on: when did the tomatoes start coming last year? For how long? What kinds did we grow? Which green beans did the best? Etc.

But now I'm not too sure how any of the information I have here to measure such a concrete goal. Even if I were to start keeping track of the amounts of food in a more quantitative way I'm not sure what way would help me. What do I mean when I give such a definite answer? Do I mean by weight? Then I should grow more potatoes. Do I mean by price? Then the answer would be grow more raspberries. Do I mean the number of days that we eat veggies from the garden vs. the days that we eat store bought? But some days we mix them!

But I also feel like it is very focusing to have a concrete goal to work towards.

Jayme? Any thoughts? Anyone else?

No comments: