Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Daily Harvest



The chickens have discovered that the fava beans are food.

Over the years Jonathan has trained our chickens to jump for treats out of his hand. The chickens combined this old trick with their new discovery and have been terrorizing the favas. I've kind of given up the idea that we will share the bounty. Which is disapointing because these were the slowest growing favas on earth and I have spent a long time waiting for the beans to be ready.

I've been waiting basically since November when we planted them.

But today I noticed some beans that the chickens haven't gotten to yet and decided to pick all the beans I could find, even those on the small side, just to have them not go to the chickens.

If you look closely you can see some beans that have been snapped in half by the chickens.

It's hard to begrudge them the beans though, when I think about it, feeding them is feeding myself.

No comments: